This was said on Sunday by MEC for Human Settlements Ravi Pillay when he addressed community members on the status of the multi-million housing project.
The project will see the development of 1 164 two-bedroom units.
Houses will be available to rent for households with monthly income between R800 and R3 500.
The development is scheduled to be completed by 2020.
Pillay warned the department will be strict in allocating houses. He said the department knew of people living in Jika Joe who had houses elsewhere.
“Very often there will be those who can afford to get accommodation but use the easy way.”
The MEC’s address to the community was followed by a donation of mattresses to a creche in the area.
Opposition parties questioned the timing of the event in light of Wednesday’s by-election for ward 33.
Last week, KZN Treasury MEC Belinda Scott was subjected to similar criticisms that she was simply “trying to garner votes” when she delivered blankets to people in the area. DA deputy leader in the province, Mergan Chetty, said Scott and Pillay should “hang their heads in shame”.
“Sadly, they chose to have another ANC rally using government money. The tragedy is two weeks ago there was a fire in Jika Joe [in Ward 33] and there were no tents for the people. But the MEC came here and put up a marquee for the by-elections. That can’t be right. All they care about is the vote.”
IFP provincial spokesperson Blessed Gwala said the ANC was like a parasite.
“It cannot mobilise communities without using state resources.
“He [Pillay] has never been there [to Ward 33], but because there is a by-election … he is going there to woo the people.”
Outside the event, which was held at Manor Sports Ground, Pillay denied it was connected to the by-election.
“If they [opposition parties] come to our programmes, they’d see we are working all the time going out to communities.
“Work does not [start] just because there’s a by-election.”